Tuesday, March 29, 2011

more GOOD Changes

You know there are soooo many things i wish I would have learned sooner. I guess I'm grateful to be learning them at all. I'm really proud of the steps me & my husband & our family have been taking, thinking about how we use things, do we need things, looking at the BIG picture and what impact it has not just on us, but on our world. Just being more aware.. it's something we've been doing for a while in small ways but lately especially really feel like we've been stepping up our responsibilities, not just for our own sake BUT cause in doing these things and reducing what we are using is helping our world. Since, at this time, it doesn't seem like we can do much to help the world financially, cause we are struggling a little this month especially. (Brian's company went from bi-monthly pay checks to monthly ones.. so we have a 1/2 month salary (his last) on April 1st to make it thru til the end of the month-- ugh!) That's hard to do when you are living paycheck to paycheck and i just quit my job. I didn't make much, but it would have helped anyway.. sometimes you need to take a stand. I'm not upset about that.. I'm upset that I feel like I'm not contributing as much to our family.. So I've been trying really hard to figure out ways we can use less, for it to cost less and so we can save more. It's my goal & its making me feel better. We already have implemented alot of changes in the way we live and I'm hoping that we don't stop when things get better financially. For instance, we are being conscience of stuff...like shutting things off, buying less, ie: bottled water(using the Brita) and wanting to save for really important things instead of foolish spending.. getting rid of some of the "STUFF" in our lifes and concentrating on THE important things. We are also BIG on coupons right now... we are saving ALOT this way. Making a decision we are only going to buy something when it's on sale or with a coupon or BOTH! YAY! That's the best! hehe. Also just being really diligent in using all the things in the refridgerator, freezer & pantry... trying to spend less and use what we have. i really do feel proud about the changes :) THE other key is using up things... I can't tell you how many times I threw away things that were expired. Knowing they are in there and USING THEM ALL UP, it's a huge thing. We've even been using bar soap (Brian gets them from the hotels-- when he travels, so instead of buying soft soap.. we've been using them up.) How many years did people only use bar soap.. so I just decided to use up all the tiny bars of soap before buying more.. why not right??? These are small steps but all togehter can really make an impact. I think it's a really good example to show EMily too. Another thing we just did was move our money to a new bank.. we found a bank that didn't have a minimum required amount. So if we went below a certain amt, we won't get hit with a fee.. that's so frustrating when that happens.. it's like throwing money away. We just had enough with that.. i hope the bank we chose is good to us. We did some investigating and they have a good record & we got a signing bonus of $100.00 for opening it (after 60day) and $15 gift card also. YAY! Anyway.. just thought I would share this.. perhaps it can inspire you to make some changes to. We know & aren't claiming to be experts on this.. infact, I am realizing that the internet & twitter are actually great ways to get inspired & to learn. ... Follow some Green sites, they have great articles & advice. :) Anyway.. have a great day. Reduce, reuse, recycle... and it makes u feel good too! :)

No comments: