Thursday, July 28, 2016

My husband's poem he wrote yesterday

"When something is bothering me, I write. I always have, and probably always will. This is what I wrote today:"


My perspective’s split between two views
Of how ...the world could be
My right side perceives a version,
The left just doesn’t see.


My mind strives to reconcile,
Seeking commonalities,
Yet is stifled by the prospect
Of this stark dichotomy.

To the right a shroud of darkness,
In which echoed gunshots scream,
To the left the warmth of sunlight,
And the glow of hopeful dreams.

To the larboard side the people
Stand behind a wall of fear,
Wondering where the dangers lie,
Are they far or are they near?

The people on the dextral view,
Face their neighbors unafraid,
They offer hands of friendship,
Coupled with empathy and aide.

The differences seem obvious,
There’s one thing very clear,
One view is based on hope and love,
The other hate and fear.

Perhaps we’ll one day realize,
What truly makes a people great,
When we accept a truth that children know,
Love always must trump hate.


By Brian Roach
7/27/16

No comments: