Thursday, May 31, 2007

The crying phase?

Emily has been having a tough time in school recently. She's cried in class the last two days. Maybe it's just a crying phase. Today the nurse called and was like Mrs. D doesn't know what to do, Emily has been crying and will not do her work. Okay, so what am I suppose to do? I didn't know. I asked to talk to Emily and I asked her why she was crying? SHe said she was sick... which I knew wasn't true. SHe has discovered little tricks to get out of talking/ or doing something she doesn't want to. For instance, when I got the note yesterday from Emily's teacher saying Emily had a difficult day and was crying. I tried to ask Emily about it, and she was like " I need to use the potty." I guess all kids go thru stages, we have been trying to talk to her about using words to tell when something is upseting her instead of crying or getting frustrated. I think part of the problem has to do with Emily being a perfectionist. We finally figured out that she got upset when she was having problems tracing some math problems. She couldn't get them to stay on the lines and she just couldn't deal with that. She got upset and then started crying. She just becomes more easily upset then most kids. I dont' know why. (the fact: she was 14.7ounces when she was born and she isn't the SAME as other kids!) We tell her all the time to just try her best and that it doesn't have to be perfect. It's okay. But she is having some problems learning this. She is a little more emotionally immature than alot of kids her age. She is so smart but the maturity level isn't there to handle it. I just want her to be happy and I hope that there are resources at the school to help her. I think it's hard when your kid is a little different because it's easier for the school to handle things when all the kids are cookie cutter kids. Emily is special and we've tried really hard to explain this to them. I mean haven't they been with her this whole year and realized that Emily may need a little more guidance with some things. I'm just ranting and not sure what/who I'm frustrated at. I just want Emily to be happy, and when I hear she is crying, it makes me sad and when I don't have all the answers, I feel helpless. I guess all parents want the same for their kids. My friends are sometimes jealous because Emily is so smart, they struggle for hours with homework and getting their children to read. For us that part always came easy for Emily... it takes her 5 minutes to do her homework. She reads amazingly well and LOVES doing school work. But she gets so upset when something doesn't come out exactly right. SHe also has a harder time socially, Physically she isn't at the same level as other kids,andshe has a harder time interacting the same way the other children do. As a mother it's hard to see your child struggling. So I wish that those things came as easily for Emily as they do for other kids. As parents we all just want our kids to be happy and for things to be easy for them. But we have to remember that life isnt always easy and that part of growing is learning how to handle the things that are not always easy and we just need to love them for who they are right now. And I do.

No comments: